Recent Event Highlights
- Site Visit to United Utilities | West Cumbria Aqueduct - September 2018: Five members of the panel visited UU's Cumbria Aqueduct twin 900mm diameter pipeline between Thurlmere and Williamsgate near Cockermouth.
- Panel Meeting - November 2018: As part of the meeting the smart torque product that is being trialled in preparation for launch to market was presented. This product completes the data capture and provides quality assurance for flanged joints, allowing any remedials to be identified and completed before the pipeline is tested and backfilled. The data captured within the mechanical tool gives the asset owner peace of mind that the pipeline has been jointed and torqued correctly (including the sequence).
- Leak Free Networks conference
- Clean Growth Strategy (greener energy solutions)
- Corrosion Protection
- Thurst Block Design
The Utilities Technical Panel is made up of a group of Pipeline Industry experts with experience in the manufacture, operation, maintenance, design, construction, commissioning, decommissioning and health, safety, security and environmental aspects of utility pipeline engineering. Its members include practitioners, managers, suppliers and consultants. We meet quarterly and discuss areas of concern including technical standards, new technologies, the future direction of the industry. Our meetings are usually held at the premises of one of the panel members and where appropriate include a visit to workshops or site. We aim to have a guest speaker at every meeting to present on technical achievements or challenges within the industry.
Richard Weeks CEng FICE CIWEM PIG - Chief Engineer, Atkins
Richard is a practicing civil engineer with 40 years' experience in engineering design, utilities and the water industry. He is currently acting either as Project Director, Project Manager or Project Reviewer on many multidisciplinary water infrastructure schemes.
Within Atkins Infrastructure Division, Richard is Technical Authority for pipeline engineering. For SNC Lavalin, Richard is pipeline Subject Matter Expert, SME.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Project Management
- Water Engineering
- Pipeline Design and Construction
- Water Supply
- Wastewater Collection
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Marine Outfalls
Richard Weeks | Chair - Atkins
Pamela O'Rourke | Vice Chair - Atkins
Sophie Tucker | Secretary - United Utilities